An ion is an atom or molecule with an electrical charge. They are really really small. Some ions are positively charged and others are negatively charged. They are always around us and come from both – natural and man-made sources.
Exhaust fumes, cigarette smoke, pesticides, dust, soot, radiation from power lines, computers, cell phones and electrical appliances all give off positive ions creating free radical molecules which are harmful to your body. Aging, tissue damage and some diseases are linked directly to free radicals. Positive ions are found in viruses, germs, mold, dust, odors and bacteria.
On other hand, negative ions are good to our health. We all feel alive when near moving water – like natural spring, when it rains, walking on the beach or simply in the woods. This is all caused by negative ions being in action. Negative ions counteract positive ions and the dangerous free radicals that positive ions cause. The negative ions grab onto the positive ions and wrestle them down to the ground. The can be then hovered up leaving the air toxin and odor free. A very similar effect can be reached when burning a beeswax candle. Beeswax candles when burned emit an abundance of negative ions to the air and since they are made from natural resources (unlike paraffin candles), they do not emit dangerous soot, smoke and chemical residue. This leaves us feeling invigorated, healthier and energized.